Accidents in the Agriculture Sector are unfortunately, all too common. The Courts have powers to issue large fines based on safety failings and the associated consequences can be detrimental. These failings can be prosecuted by the HSE.
Recent cases include W Gibson & Son of Mayville Farm, Cayton, Scarborough, North Yorkshire who pled guilty to breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 as result of a self-employed worker falling 3 metres whilst using a 360 excavator vehicle with a non-integrated work platform attached to it as they felt it provided better reach and manoeuvrability whilst undertaking maintenance works to the gable end of a barn on a farm. The company was fined £18’000 and ordered to pay costs. The HSE concluded the matter could have been avoided by properly assessing the risk and employing suitable work at height equipment. (HSE, 2021).
Assured Safety can work with you to review current practices and Systems of Work and suggest any improvements that may be necessary.
What other support is available?
- We undertake an initial school visit to ensure your safety and health management system is adequate and up to date, this includes a thorough review of policies, procedures, guidance and records management.
- Where systems require improvement, we offer genuine solutions and work with your team to provide the level of support that’s required.
- We provide a Health and Safety Policy and a full, bespoke Health and Safety QMS, or Quality Management System.
- Access to Risk Assessments, Method Statements, Policies and Process documents. Risk assessments undertaken for general site safety, classrooms, communal areas and dining areas.
- Control of Contractors and Subcontractor Management Services, Accident or Incident support, close out actions and training.
- Support with Audits and Assessments and on-site, Assured Safety Certificated training.
Get in touch to see how Assured Safety can support your School.